Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 4
Subject Area: Medicine
Published online: 07 October 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Oct-Dec;22(3):1344-1347
THE DILEMMA "FOR" AND "AGAINST" EUTHANASIA AND LEGAL AWARENESS OF THE DISABLED
Paraskeva Mancheva1 , Albena Kerekovska2, Gergana Nenova1,
1) Training and research sector of Rehabilitation, Medical Collеge - Varna, Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria
2) Department of social medicine and health care organisation, Faculty of Public Health, Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria.
Aim: to study the legal awareness of the disabled and to solve the "for" or "against" euthanasia issue
Material and methods: The study includes 305 polymorbid disabled people and is certificated by the General territorial Expert Medical Commission (LEDC) at University Hospital "St. Marina " Varna for the period October-December 2011. The study uses sociological method - direct and group inquiry and statistical methods: analysis (χ2), analysis of variance, correlation analysis (r), regression analysis (β). The processing of the results was performed by SPSS v.17.0 for Windows.
Results: The study of the legal awareness of euthanasia revealed a need for more information among polymorbid disabled people. There is a discrepancy between their more positive, supportive attitude (acceptance of euthanasia) and lack of willingness to actually conduct. The reasons for this can be found in the sporadic public discussions on the debate on euthanasia and in the increased distrust of the health care system. Respondents believe that euthanasia at this stage cannot be imputed as an obligation for the Bulgarian medics.
Conclusion: The legal public awareness issue is essential to protect the rights of the citizens, for the realization of those activities that require strict compliance with the Constitution, laws and regulations. The legal awareness study of the disabled for solution of the "for" or "against" euthanasia issue presents an opportunity to discuss a way out of a hopeless situation for patients in terminal condition.
Key words: disability, euthanasia, legal consciousness, awareness,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 642 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Mancheva P, Kerekovska A, Nenova G. THE DILEMMA "FOR" AND "AGAINST" EUTHANASIA AND LEGAL AWARENESS OF THE DISABLED. J of IMAB. 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1344-1347.
Correspondence to: Assoc. Prof. Dr Paraskeva Mancheva, MD, PhD, Medical University of Varna; 55, Marin Drinov Str., 9002 Varna, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Naumova St. [Legitimacy of legal coercion in the context of the Rule of Law.] [in Bulgarian] Collection of Scientific Works of RU "A. Kanchev ". Legal Studies, Russe. 2003;39(5):47-53.
2. Fletcher JF. Morals and Medicine: The Moral Problems of the Patient's Right to Know the Truth, Contraception, Artificial Insemination, Sterilization, Euthanasia. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press. [Internet]
3. Naumova St. [Functional features of anti-discrimination legal awareness.] [in Bulgarian] Scientific writings of the University of Russe. 2011; 50(7):13-17.
4. Bellieni C. „Quality of life” is a misnomer: the case for neonatal euthanasia. Journal of Medicine and The Person. 2006 Sep;4(3):103-105.
5. Boonin D. How to argue against active euthanasia. J Appl Philos. 2000; 17(2):157-68. [PubMed]
6. Kapinus OS. [Euthanasia as social and legal phenomenon (criminal and legal problems)] [in Russian]. Bukvoved, Moscow. 2006.
Received: 18 July 2016
Published online: 07 October 2016
back to Online Journal