Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 4
Subject Area: Dental Medicine
Published online: 19 October 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1348-1351
DIRECT PULP CAPPING IN TREATMENT OF REVERSIBLE PULPITIS IN PRIMARY TEETH- CLINICAL PROTOCOL
Nina Milcheva1 , Rossitza Kabaktchieva2, Natalia Gateva2,
1) Department of pediatric dentistry, Faculty of dental medicine, Medical University-Varna, Bulgaria
2) Department of pediatric dentistry, Faculty of dental medicine, Medical University- Sofia, Bulgaria.
The pulp of primary teeth is identical morphologically and physiologically to that of permanent teeth and it is capable to answer to pathological stimuli by producing tertiary dentin. When the inflammation of the pulp is in its reversible stage vital methods of treatment are indicated in order to stimulate the healing processes in it and protect its vitality. In Bulgaria the most popular method of treatment of inflammation diseases of the pulp in primary dentition is the mortal amputation. The biological way of treatment is not very common even in cases where there are indications for it.
Purpose: The aim of this paper is to present the approbated by us protocol for application of direct pulp capping for treatment of reversible pulpitis in primary teeth.
Material and methods: On the base of world experience and our contemporary meta- analysis of the researches published in the last 15 years concerning the problems of diagnostics. We determined clinical and radiographic diagnostic criteria for reversible pulpitis in primary teeth and indications for application of direct pulp capping as a method of treatment. We give clinical steps for application of the method and summarized the clinical and radiographic criteria for success after treatment.
Results/conclusion: We gather all the information for applying direct pulp cappingfor treatment of reversible pulpitis in primary dentition. We offer the method of direct pulp capping as a clinical protocol “step by step” and illustrated by scheme which can be useful for students and dentists in their everyday practice.
Key words: direct pulp capping, primary teeth, reversible pulpitis, vital methods,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 652 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Milcheva N, Kabaktchieva R, Gateva N. Direct pulp capping in treatment of reversible pulpitis in primary teeth- clinical protocol. J of IMAB. 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1348-1351. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2016224.1348.
Correspondence to: Nina Ivanova Milcheva, PhD, Department of pediatric dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Varna; 84, Tsar Osvoboditel str., 9000 Varna, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Gateva N, Kabaktchieva R. Treatment of diseases of dentalpulpinprimaryteeth. Part I. Zabolekarski pregled. 2007; 89(Suppl 2):132-138. [in Bulgarian]
2. Milcheva N, Kabaktchieva R. Clasificationanddiagnostics of inflammatorydiseases of thepulp of primaryteeth - literaturereview. Dental Medicine. 2015; 97(Suppl 1):82-87. [in Bulgarian]
3. Rodd HD, Waterhouse PJ, Fuks AB, Fayle SA, Moffat MA. Pulp therapy for primary molars. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2006 Sep;16 Suppl 1:15-23. [PubMed]
4. Schrӧder U. Pediatric Dentistry. A Clinical Approach. (ed. G. Koch), Oxford, Blackwell, 2009, Pedodontic endodontics, 153-165
5. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD). Guidelines on pulp therapy for primary and immature permanent teeth. Reference Manual, Clinical Guidelines. 2015/2016; 37(6): 244-252 [Internet ]
6. Seale NS, Coll JA. Vital pulp therapy for the primary dentition. Gen Dent. 2010 May-Jun;58(3):194-200. [PubMed]
7. Milcheva N, Kabaktchieva R. Contemporarymethodsfortreatment of thepulp of primaryteeth. Indirectanddirectpulpcapping. Review - part 1. Savr stomatol. 2015; 46(Suppl 1):21-34. [in Bulgarian]
8. National association of pediatric dentists in Bulgaria. Consent for treatment of pulpitis and periodontitis in primary teeth. First symposium. 2011; Oct, Hissar, Bulgaria: 24-36. [in Bulgarian]
9. Gould A, Johnstone S, Smith P. Pulp therapy techniques for the deciduous dentition.(Compact Disk) London: King`s College. 1999
10. Fuks AB. Pulp therapy for the primary and young permanent dentitions. Dent Clin North Am. 2000 Jul;44(3):571-596. [PubMed ]
11. Kopel HM. Considerations for the direct pulp capping procedures in primary teeth: A review of the literature. ASDC J Dent Child. 1992 Mar-Apr;59(2):141-149. [PubMed]
12. Ranly DM, Garcia-Godoy F. Current and Potential Pulp Therapies for Primary and Young Permanent Teeth. J Dent. 2000 Mar;28(3):153-161. [PubMed]
13. Ni Chaollai A, Monteiro J, Duggal MS. The teaching of management of the pulp in primary molars in Europe: a preliminary investigation in Ireland and the UK. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2009 Jun;10(2):98-103. [PubMed]
14. Fuks AB. Vital pulp therapy with new materials for primary teeth: new directions and Treatment perspectives. Pediatr Dent. 2008 May-Jun;30(3):211-9. [PubMed]
15. Milcheva N. Treatment of reversible inflammation of the pulp of primary teeth. [Disertation] Medical University, Varna, Bulgaria. 2016, p.156. [in Bulgarian]
16. Aminabadi NA, Farahani RM, Oskouei SG. Formocresol versus calcium hydroxide direct pulp capping of human primary molars: two year follow-up. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2010 Summer;34(4):317-21. [PubMed]
17. Bodem O, Blumenshine S, Zeh D, Koch MJ. Direct pulp capping with mineral trioxide aggregate in a primary molar: a case report. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2004 Sep;14(5):376-9. [PubMed]
18. Caicedo R, Abbott PV, Alongi DJ, Alarcon MY. Clinical, radiographic and histological analysis of the effects of mineral trioxide aggregate used in direct pulp capping and pulpotomies of primary teeth. Aust Dent J. 2006 Dec;51(4):297-305. [PubMed]
19. Demir T, Cehreli ZC. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of adhesive pulp capping in primary molars following hemostasis with 1.25% sodium hypochlorite: 2-year results. Am J Dent. 2007 Jun;20(3):182-8. [PubMed]
20. Garrocho-Rangel A, Flores H, Silva-Herzog D, Hernandez-Sierra F, Mandeville P, Pozos-Guillen AJ. Efficacy of EMD versus calcium hydroxide in direct pulp capping of primary molars: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009 May;107(5):733-8. [PubMed]
21. Fallahinejad Ghajari M, Asgharian Jeddi T, Iri S, Asgary S. Direct pulp-capping with calcium enriched mixture in primary molar teeth: a randomized clinical trial. Iran Endod J. 2010 Winter;5(1):27-30. [PubMed]
22. Fallahinejad Ghajari M, Asgharian Jeddi T, Iri S, Asgary S. Treatment outcomes of primary molars direct pulp capping after 20 months: a randomized controlled trial. Iran Endod J. 2013 Fall;8(4):149-52. [PubMed]
23. Kabaktchieva R., Gateva N. Success of Direct Pulp Capping and Partial Pulpotomy of Primary Teeth using MTA. IJSR. 2015 Feb;4(2):287-291
24. Kotsanos N, Arapostathis KN, Arhakis A, Menexes G. Direct pulp capping of carious primary molars. A specialty practice based study. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2014 Summer;38(4):307-12. [PubMed]
25. Milcheva N. Direct pulp capping with mineral trioxide aggregate in primary teeth: 2 year follow – up. IJSR. 2015 Mar;4(3):1039-1042
26. Milcheva N, Kabaktchieva R. Direct Pulp Capping with MTA in primary molars with reversible pulpitis. 24-th Annual Assembly of IMAB, Varna. 15-18 may 2014. PD22 .
27. Tuna D, Olmez A. Clinical long-term evaluation of MTA as a direct pulp capping material in primary teeth. Int Endod J. 2008 Apr;41(4):273-8. [PubMed]
28. Milcheva N, Kabaktchieva R. Contemporarymethodsfortreatment of thepulp of primaryteeth. Vitalpulpotomy. Pulpcappingmaterials. Review –part 2. Savr stomatol. 2015; 46 Suppl1):35-47. [in Bulgarian]
29. Kabaktchieva R, Krasteva A, Mitev S. Partialpulpotomy of a primarytooththroughapplication of mineraltrioxideaggregate (MTA) – problemsandsolutionsin a case of a childwithatopy. Savr stomatol. 2011; 42(Suppl 1):41-53. [in Bulgarian].
Received: 25 June2016
Published online: 19 October 2016
back to Online Journal