Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 4
Subject Area: Dental Medicine
Published online: 12 December 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1383-1384
A LASER DOPPLER FLOWMETRY FOR MEASURING THE PULP BLOOD PERFUSION IN TEETH WITH POSTOPERATIVE SENSITIVITY – a case report
Vesela Stefanova1 , Neshka Manchorova1, Desislava Georgieva2, Angel Sapundgiev2, Yoanna Nikova2, Georgy Simeonov2, Emina Kaish2, Isabela Antipova2, Maria Stoyanova2, Nikolay Simeonov2, Snejana Tzanova1, Stoyan Vladimirov1,
1) Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, Faculty of Dental medicine, Medical University Plovdiv, Bulgaria
2) Students study group, Faculty of Dental medicine, Medical University Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
Purpose: To study the blood perfusion in teeth with post operative sensitivity.
Material and Methods: A twenty years old female came to the Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics with complains of postoperative sensitivity in one upper premolar and one lower molar. The teeth were restored by resin-composite restorations and two-step adhesive. Measuring of the pulp blood perfusion of the sensitive teeth and comparing with healthy ones was accomplished by using laser Doppler device moorVMS-LDF2. Pulp vitality was assessed by conventional cold and electrical pulp tests. Subjective symptoms were measured by VAS. Saliva biochemistry was evaluated by Saliva Check Buffer test.
Results: The upper premolar, tooth 25, showed 28,5 PU, the lower molar, tooth 36, showed 21,9 PU. The electrical pulp test of teeth was 17 µA and 44 µA respectively. The cold response of teeth was 2,5s and 5,0s. According to VAS, the intensity of pain in tooth 25 is 4,3mm and in tooth 36 2,1mm.
Conclusion: Laser Doppler flowmetry is used for the first time for measuring the blood perfusion in teeth with postoperative sensitivity. For revealing the connection between pulp hemodynamic and postoperative sensitivity future studies are needed in which laser Doppler flowmetry can be highly valuable.
Key words: laser Doppler flowmetry, pulp blood perfusion, post-operative sensitivity,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 655 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Stefanova V, Manchorova N, Georgieva D, Sapundgiev A, Nikova Y, Simeonov G, Kaish E, Antipova I, Stoyanova M, Simeonov N, Tzanova S, Vladimirov S. A laser Doppler flowmetry for measuring the pulp blood perfusion in teeth with postoperative sensitivity – a case report. J of IMAB. 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1383-1384. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2016224.1383.
Correspondence to: Vesela Stefanova, Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University – Plovdiv; 3, Hristo Botev str., 4000 Plovdiv, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Cheremisinoff NP, Cheremisinoff PN. Flow Measurement for Engineers and Scientists. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1988; pp.392.
2. Gazelius B, Olgart L, Edwall B, Edwall L. Non-invasive recording of blood flow in human dental pulp. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986 Oct;2(5):219–221. [PubMed]
3. Ikawa M, Komatsu H, Ikawa K, Mayanagi H, Shimauchi H. Age-related changes in the human pulpal blood flow measured by laser Doppler flowmetry. Dent Traumatol. 2003 Feb;19(1):36-40. [CrossRef]
4. Jafarzadeh H. Laser Doppler flowmetry in endodontics: a review. Int Endod J. 2009 Jun;42(6):476-90. [PubMed]
5. Maiman TH. Stimulated optical radiation in ruby. Nature.1960; 187:493-494. [CrossRef]
6. Orekhova LY, Barmasheva AA. Doppler flowmetry as a tool of predictive, preventive and personalised dentistry. The EPMA Journal. 2013; 4:21. [CrossRef]
7. Roeykens H, De Moor R. The use of laser Doppler flowmetry in paediatric dentistry. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2011 Apr;12(2):85-9. [PubMed]
8. Stefanova V, Tsanova Sn, Manchorova N, Manolova M. Laser Doppler Assessment of Pulp Blood Flow in Young Individual’s Vital Teath. [Abstract] Folia Medica. 2015; 57(Suppl. 1):49.
9. Svalestad J, Hellem S, Vaagbo G, Irgens A, Thorsen E. Reproducibility of transcutaneous oximetry and laser Doppler flowmetry in facial skin and gingival tissue. Microvasc Res. 2010, 79:29-33. [PubMed]
10. Stefanova V. Application of Laser Doppler Flowmetry in Dental Medicine. Dental Magazine. 2015; 18-22
Received: 22 June 2016
Published online: 12 December 2016
back to Online Journal