Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 4
Subject Area: Medicine
Published online: 19 December 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1389-1391
ADALIMUMAB INDUCTION AND MAINTAINING REMISSION FOR CROHN’S DISEASE IN PATIENT WHO LOST RESPONSE TO INFLIXIMAB. Case report
Ivaylo Vazharov1 , Hristo Bozov2, Snezha Zlateva3, Georgi Bonchev3,
1) Clinic of Internal diseases, Naval Hospital – Varna, Military Medical Academy, Bulgaria
2) Clinic of Anaesthesiology, Marine and Intensive medicine, Naval Hospital – Varna, Military Medical Academy, Bulgaria
3) Clinic for Intensive Treatment of Acute Intoxications and Toxicoallergies, Naval Hospital – Military Medical Academy, Bulgaria.
This is a report of 30 years old woman suffering from Crohn’s disease who had a good clinical response to Infliximab (Remicade) at first, but during the treatment after 5 months she lost response. After receiving Adalimumab (Humira) clinical remission was reached on the day 20. The case demonstrates rapid response to adalimumab in incidence of losing efficacy to another tumor necrotic factor - alpha (TNF- alpha) antagonist.
Key words: Crohn's disease, TNF- alpha inhibitors, adalimumab, infliximab,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 623 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Vazharov I, Bozov H, Zlateva S, Bonchev G. Adalimumab induction and maintaining remission for Crohn’s disease in patient who lost response to Infliximab. Case report. J of IMAB. 2016 Oct-Dec;22(4):1389-1391. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2016224.1389.
Correspondence to: Assoc. Prof. Ivaylo Vazharov, MD, PhD, Naval Hospital – Varna, Military Medical Academy; 3, Chr. Smirnenski St, Varna 9010, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Baumgart DC, Carding SR. Inflammatory bowel disease: cause and immunobiology. Lancet. 2007 May;369(9573):1627-40. [PubMed]
2. Lichtenstein GR, Panaccione R, Mallarkey G. Efficacy and safety of adalimumab in Crohn's disease. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2008 Jul;1(1):43-50. [PubMed]
3. Bernstein CN, Fried M, Krabshuis JH, Cohen H, Eliakim R, Fedail S, et al. World Gastroenterology Organization Practice Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of IBD in 2010. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010 Jan;16(1):112-24. [PubMed]
4. Hanauer SB, Feagan BG, Lichtenstein GR, Mayer LF, Schreiber S, Colombel JF, et al. Maintenance infliximab for Crohn's disease: the ACCENT I randomised trial. Lancet. 2002 May; 359(9317):1541-9. [PubMed]
5. Ben-Horin S, Chowers Y. Review article: loss of response to anti-TNF treatments in Crohn's disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011 May;33(9):987-95. [PubMed]
6. Allez M, Karmiris K, Louis E, Van Assche G, Ben-Horin S, Klein A, et al. Report of the ECCO pathogenesis workshop on anti-TNF therapy failures in inflammatory bowel diseases: definitions, frequency and pharmacological aspects. J Crohns Colitis. 2010 Oct;4(4):355-66. [PubMed]
7. Moss AC, Brinks V, Carpenter JF. Review article: immunogenicity of anti-TNF biologics in IBD - the role of patient, product and prescriber factors. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Nov;38(10):1188-97. [PubMed]
8. Ben-Horin S. Loss of response to anti-tumor necrosis factors: what is the next step? Dig Dis. 2014; 32(4):384-8. [PubMed]
9. Silverberg MS, Satsangi J, Ahmad T, Arnott ID, Bernstein CN, Brant SR et al. Toward an integrated clinical, molecular and serological classification of inflammatory bowel disease: report of a Working Party of the 2005 Montreal World Congress of Gastroenterology. Can J Gastroenterol. 2005 Sep;19 Suppl A:5A-36A. [PubMed]
10. Côté-Daigneault J, Bouin M, Lahaie R, Colombel JF, Poitras P. Biologics in inflammatory bowel disease: what are the data? United European Gastroenterol J. 2015 Oct;3(5):419-28. [PubMed]
11. Clark M, Colombel JF, Feagan BC, Fedorak RN, Hanauer SB, Kamm MA, et al. American gastroenterological association consensus development conference on the use of biologics in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, June 21-23, 2006. Gastroenterology. 2007 Jul;133(1):312-39. [PubMed]
12. Sandborn WJ, Rutgeerts P, Enns R, Hanauer SB, Colombel JF, Panaccione R. et al. Adalimumab induction therapy for Crohn disease previously treated with infliximab: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2007 Jun 19;146(12):829-38. [PubMed].
Received: 10 October 2016
Published online: 19 December 2016
back to Online Journal