Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312-773X (Online)
Issue:Volume 16, book 4, 2010
Subject Collection:Oral and Dental Medicine
Page: 27 - 30
Online date: Oct 19, 2010
GINGIVAL TISSUE IL-1beta AND PGE2 LEVELS IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC PERIODONTITIS AFTER ADDITIONAL THERAPY WITH NON-STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS
Christina Popova, Antoaneta Mlachkova,
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria
Background: The understanding of the pathogenesis of periodontitis makes various progresses in the last decades. Today it is well known that the synthesis of high levels of pro-inflammatory mediators from gingival tissues in response to periodontopathogens results in destruction of soft and hard periodontal tissues and clinical expression of periodontal disease. There is enough evidence that PGE2 and IL-1beta are important mediators in the initiation and progression of periodontal disease. Detection of numerous cytokines in high levels in gingival tissues and crevicular fluid may be indicator for activity of periodontitis. The reduction of IL-1beta and PGE2 levels after periodontal therapy may be a potential criterion for successful periodontal therapy. The occurrence of increased IL-1beta and PGE2 levels in GCF or gingival tissue is able to indicate risk from progression of destruction in specific periodontital site. The current conception of the pathogenesis of periodontitis suggests that additional host modulation approach may inhibit the production of pro-inflammatory mediators in periodontal tissues and may enhance the treatment result. Aim of the study: To evaluate the effectiveness of additional host modulation therapy with NSAID (Aulin®) in non-surgical therapy of chronic periodontitis by measurement of IL-1beta and PGE2 gene expression levels in patient’s gingival tissues.
Materials and methods: Evaluation of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) gene expression levels in gingival tissue of chronic periodontitis patients before and after non-surgical periodontal therapy (scaling and root planing) was performed. Prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) gene expression levels in gingival tissue of patients with chronic periodontitis receiving conventional mechanical therapy alone or with additional host modulation therapy with NSAID (Aulin®) – 100 mg per day were compared. PCR analysis- TagMan RT-PCR for evaluation of gene expression levels of IL-1beta and PGE2 in gingival tissue of periodontal patients was applied.
Results: Statistically significant differences were found between additional Aulin® therapy group and conventional therapy group. Received correlative coefficient with Spearman analysis was respectively t = -0.72 (p< 0,05) for IL-1beta and t = 0.81(p<0,05) for PGE2. The negative values of ddCt in test group reveal lower level of inhibition of gene expression. The comparative analysis of the collected data demonstrates fewer differences between both groups. The deviations in gene expression levels of IL -1beta and PGE2 are higher in the patients treated with adjunctive medication with Aulin®.
Conclusion: This study confirms the effectiveness of non-surgical therapy in moderate and severe periodontitis. Additional use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent Aulin® results in higher inhibition of the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1beta and PGE2. This data may be the base for modifying the conventional non-surgical therapy by including anti-inflammatory agents in the treatment of chronic periodontitis.
Key words: proinflammatory mediators, gene expression, NSAIDs, nonsurgical periodontal therapy, host modulation, TagMan RT-PCR.
Page: 27-30; FULL TEXT PDF (303 KB) Abstract
1. Popova Chr., A. Mlachkova, M. Kicheva. ТaqMan RT – PCR metod for gingival tissue IL-1beta and PGE2 gene expression levels assessment in patients with chronic periodontitis. “Problems of dental medicine”, vol. ХХХV, 2009, 8-15p.
2. Bicche I., V. Paradis, P. Bedossa, M.Vidaud. Quantitation of hTERT gene expression in sporadic breast tumors with a real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction assey. Clinical Cancer Research, Feb.2000;6:452-459.
3. Buduneli N., S.Vardar, G. Atilla, H. Lioto, H. Baylas. Gingival crevicular fluid matrix metalloproteinases-8 levels following adjunctive use of Meloxicam and initial phase of periodontal therapy. J Periodontol 2002;73:103-109.
4. Ejeil A.,G. Frederick , K. Senni, P. Bernard. Are cytokines linked to collagen breakdoun during periodontal disease progression? J Priodontol 2003;74:196-201.
5. Famaey P. In vitro and in vivo pharmacological evidence of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition by nimesulide: an overview. Inflamm Res 1997; 46(11): 437-46.
6. Galbraith M.,C. Hagan, J. Sanders, T. Javed. Cytokine production by oral and peripheral blood neutrophils in adult periodontitis. J Periodontol 1997;68:832-838.
7. Giulietti A., D.Valckx, R. Bouillon, Ch. Mathieu. An overview of real- time quantitative PCR: Applications to quantify cytokine gene expression.Methods 2001; 25:386-401. [ CrossRef ]
8. Masada P., R.Persson, J.Kenney, A.Allison. Measurement of interleukin- 1alfa and interleukin-1beta in gingival crevicular fluid: implications for the pathogenesis of periodontal disease. J Periodont.Res 1990:25: 156-163.
9. Ryan E. & L. Golub. Modulation of matrix metalloproteinase activities in periodontitis as a treatment strategy. Periodontology 2000; 24:226-238.
10. Salvi E. P. Lang. Host response modulation in the management of periodontal diseases.J.Clin Periodontol, 2005;32(suppl.6):108-129.
11. Tipton A., J. Flin, M. Dabbous. Cyclooxygenase - 2 inhibitors decrease interleukin- 1beta –stimulatet prostaglandin E2 and IL-6 production by human gingival fibroblasts. J Periodontol 2003;74;1754-1763.
[ CrossRef ]
12. Vardar-Sengul S., H. Baylas, A. Huseyinov. Effect of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition on ginival tissue levels of prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin F2alfa and clinical parameters of chronic periodontitis. J Periodontol 2003; 74: 57-63.
13. Vardar-Sengul S., N. Buduneli, D. Lappin, D. Kinane. Effect of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor and omega-3 fatty acid on serum interleukin-1beta, osteocalcin and C-reactive protein levels in rats. J Periodontol 2006; 77: 657-663. [ PubMed ]
14. Waite M., C. Saxton, A. Young, B.J. Wagg and M. Corbett. The periodontal status of subjects receiving non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. J. Periodontal Research, 1981; 16: 100-108.
15. Yalcin F., C. Basegmez, L. Berber, H. Issever, U. Onan. The effects of periodontal therapy on intracrevicular prostaglandin E2 concentrations and clinical parameters in pregnancy. J Periodontol 2002;73:173-177.[ CrossRef ]
back to Online Journal