Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312-773X (Online)
Issue: Volume 16, book 4, 2010
Subject Collection:Oral and Dental Medicine
Page: 51 - 53
Online date: Dec 6, 2010
SUSCEPTIBILITY OF S.AUREUS TO METHYLENE BLUE HAEMATOPORPHYRIN, PHTALOCYANINES PHOTODYNAMIC EFFECTS
Tzvetelina Gueorgieva1, Slavcho Dimitrov1, Violeta Dogandhiyska1, Vasil Kalchinov1, Marieta Belcheva1, Vanya Mantareva2, Ivan Angelov2, Veselin Kussovski3
1)Department of Conservative and Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicineр Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria;
2)Institute of Organic Chemistry,
3)Institute of Microbiology, Bulgarian Academi of Sciences - Sofia, Bulgaria
Introduction: Many of oral diseases are caused by microorganisms. The emergence of antibioticresistant strains, such as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis, stimulated a search for alternative treatments. Such an alternative method is photo-activated disinfection. The aim of this study is to compare the antimicrobial properties of four new photosensitizers - methylene blue, haematoporphyrin and new Ga, Zn- phtalocyanines after the laser radiation (630 nm) against Staphylococcus aureus .
Materials and methods: For the study gram-positive Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus 1337 from collection of the Institute of Microbyology, Bulgarian Academy of Science is used. For PAD is used source of light which activates photosensitizer trough emission of visible light at a specific wavelength. Suspensions of Staphylococcus aureus was irradiated with diode laser (630 nm) in the presence of methylene blue, haematoporphyrin and new Ga, Zn- phtalocyanines. There were two control groups: samples that were only treated with dye and samples that were exposed neither to the laser light nor to dye.
Results: Reduction in the viability of Staphylococcus aureus was achieved with some of the photosensitizers and light associations.
Conclusions: Photoactivated disinfection appears as an effective method of Staphylococcus aureus inactivation.
Key words: photodynamic therapy, photo-activated disinfection, microbial resistance, photosensitizer, antimicrobial action.
Page: 51-53; FULL TEXT PDF (185 KB) Abstract
1. Dougherty Thomas J., Charles J. Gomer, Barbara W. Henderson, Giulio Jori, David Kessel, Mladen Korbelik, Johan Moan, Qian Peng. Photodynamic Therapy. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1998; 90:889-905 [ CrossRef ]
2. Fernandez Guerrero ML, Gonzalez Lopez JJ, Goyenechea A, Fraile J, de Gorgolas M ; Endocarditis caused by Staphylococcus aureus: A reappraisal of the epidemiologic, clinical, and pathologic manifestations with analysis of factors determining outcome; Medicine (Baltimore).; 88: 1-22 ; 2009
[ PubMed ]
3. George Saji and Anil Kishen. Influence of Photosensitizer Solvent on the Mechanisms of Photoactivated Killing of Enterococcus faecalis. Photochemistry and Photobiology. 2008; 84: 734–740
[ CrossRef ]
4. Gil-Tomas J, Tubby S, Parkin PI, Narband N, Dekker L, Nair PS, Wilson M, Street C. J Mat Chem 17: 3739 ; 2007
5. Hsi R. Alex, David I. Rosenthal and Eli Glatstein. Photodynamic Therapy in the Treatment of Cancer. Current State of the Art. Drugs 1999;57: 725-734
6. Komerik N, MacRobert AJ. Photodynamic therapy as an alternative antimicrobial modality for oral infections. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2006;25:487-504
7. Konopka K. and T. Goslinski. Photodynamic Therapy in Dentistry. J Dent Res . 2007;86:694-707
[ CrossRef ]
8. Korbelik Mladen, PhD. PDT-Associated Host Response and its Role in the Therapy Outcome. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 38:500–508; 2006 [ CrossRef ]
9. Macdonald Ian J. and Thomas J. Dougherty. Basic principles of photodynamic therapy. J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanines 2001; 5: 105–129[ CrossRef ]
10. Persson GR, Imfeld T; Periodontitis and cardiovascular disease; Ther Umsch.; 65:121-6 ; 2008
11 Radeva E., B. Indzhov; Microbiological characteristic of endodontium. Agents used for root canal microflora treatment. Stomatology,81: 21-26; 1999
12. Reader CM, Boniface M, Bujanda-Wagner S; Refractory endodontic lesion associated with Staphylococci aureus ; J Endod.; 20:607-609; 1994[ PubMed ]
13. Wainwright Mark. Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy (PACT).Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 1998; 42: 13–28
14. Walsh LJ. The current status of laser applications in dentistry. Australian Dental Journal 2003; 48:146-155
back to Online Journal